This lesson could be used either with beginners or as revision for learners in their second year of English. It starts with a review of food vocabulary, which can be adapted, and then learners will practise using the structure 'I like/don't like'. Learners then complete a simple survey by asking their classmates about their own food likes and dislikes. There are also several suggestions for follow-up or homework activities.
- To develop learners' understanding of and ability to use food vocabulary
- To enable the learners to talk and ask questions about likes and dislikes
- To practise speaking skills
CEFR level A1/A2
The lesson plan can be downloaded in PDF format below. In addition, you will need:
- flashcards of the foods you have decided to focus on, such as:
- a puzzle with the food words (one per learner) – optional, for follow-up/homework, such as:
- a food song – optional, for follow-up/homework, such as:
Important: Please read
To support teachers having to work online during the COVID-19 pandemic, this lesson has been adapted for teachers providing online classes. The lesson notes are specifically for online lessons and the class materials have been made available as a PowerPoint.
Included in the teachers' notes, there is guidance and advice for what teachers need to know and do before and at the beginning of an online class. Please read the lesson instructions carefully before using them. They are for guidance only, and designed to be used with the most common online platforms. You may need to adapt the lesson to the format and online platform you are working with.